Tuesday, January 3, 2012

How To Open A Front Porch

Gravel to the walls, evergreens (few), no rails on the porch, & a fabulous light, below.
 Exactly how I described The Cottage project, below, to my contractor.  Before I ever saw the pic, above, via Greige Design.
 Porch rails will be removed, below, and stone steps added to all sides.  Foundation meatballs removed,
gravel spread, light fixture installed.  Bricks painted, shutters added to all sides (new color chosen) storm door removed and a potager nearby, it was requested and there is very little good light elsewhere.
.
Love this type of work.  Tight budget, big impact, little input.  Ironically, the biggest improvement will be removing the foundation meatballs.  The gravel?  Huge impact, and laughably one of the cheapest ingredients.
.
Garden & Be Well,   XO Tara
.
No use at present for the iron rail.  Cannot wait to discover which project NEEDS it !

4 comments:

Divine Theatre said...

Perfection!
There is a Louis XVI sofa for you...I just know there is!

xoxo
Andie

Anonymous said...

Sounds beautiful. So many little houses would be improved with painted brick. And I love gravel to the foundation.

Hoover Boo said...

I would love to see the finished project. It sounds like it will be elegant and sophisticated.

I would also love to have gravel-to-the-foundation. A very Mediterranean (and practical) look. Hopefully someday coming to my house.

My Notting Hill said...

I'm really looking forward to seeing how this turns out. Absolutely love the idea of pea gravel up to the foundation.