Friday, October 3, 2014

Pots Tutorial : Site & Client Specific

My team is installing a flagstone terrace and garden I designed at this home, below.
.
Home is new construction atop historic foundation.
.
Clients both work, young children, pets, and shade on the front porch with moments of intense light.
.
Urns, chairs, tub already on the porch.  Of course I moved everything.
.
The urns, below, had been too close to the door, 'squeezing' the front door 'smaller'.
.

This family is too busy to fru-fru over caretaking pots.
.
Deborah Silver's urn, below, is perfect for my client's urns, above.  For scale/height I would add a tee-pee of 3 bamboo canes tied with brown twine, with matching dried vines of base wreath threading up the tee-pee.


I moved the wash tub, below, in front of their library window.  Now, a focal point inside/outside.
.
With potting soil in the tub, I would set


3 terra cotta pots with ivy topiaries, below, and also,

add whimsy, with a properly scaled animal topiary, below.
 I moved the white chairs, below, in front of their dining room window.
.
On each I see a large terra cotta pot filled with ivy topiary.


Especially like these 'basket' ivy topiaries with space in the center left for a plastic pot to be slipped in with a flowering plant- of- the- season.


If we can't find the ivy basket, above, perhaps the ivy topiary at her feet, below.


These flowering terra cotta pots, below, would be pretty on the chairs, but I do worry about the amount of sunlight available to keep them thriving.
.
Perhaps pot them anyway, do the ivy too, and swap them as desired.

.
Tiny pumpkins, matching those in the black urns, in the tub/terra cotta too.
.
Notice echoes of terra cotta, ivy, seasonal across all of the containers?  Repetition.  One of the strongest elements of Garden Design.
.

Tara's perfect pots?  So incredibly fabulous they can remain empty. 
.
 Reading Deborah Silver recently I had a planting pot epiphany, here.  Perhaps I'm harming my spirit by ALWAYS having my pots empty.  Thank you for that, Deborah.
.
Garden & Be Well,     XO Tara
.
Pics taken at jobsite yesterday, beautiful pot pics from Deborah Silver.
.
.
For a beautiful garden & home filling you with joy, become my client, local/on-line.
.
Award winning speaker, hire me for your group, local/out-of-state.
                                                                                 .
Books by Tara Dillard, Amazon
.
Tara Dillard & Associates Design: farm to city pied-a-terre.
.
Construction by Award Winning
Shaefer Heard Construction, licensed home-builder, renovation - new construction.  Heard's Landscaping a unit of SHC.  3 decades of service.
.
NOTE to my gardening friends... look for changes to come. 
Knew before computers/cell phones, sitting in Atlanta traffic on way to a client, 'I must reach a larger audience with the same amount of effort.'   Soon after that epiphany I signed my CBS-TV, and, books contracts on the same day.
.
Then I read an article in the NYTimes about something called 'blogging'.  Saved the article for a year before reading it.  Studied all the blogs they mentioned, hired a computer expert they quoted, and attended a blogging seminar.
.
Blogging 2.0 has arrived, my knowledge is 1.0.  A believer in copying the best historic gardens across the globe it flows into every arena of life.  Watching Maria Killam grow her career/blog/life over the past 3 years made its impact.  Signed up  for a year's course with her blogging expert, Jon Morrow
.
Changes will be slow, plodding is my adored method.  Pulling triggers here/there is spice in the mix.
.
What do YOU want?
.
Nothing is too small, too big, or too ego crushing to mention.
.
Passion lies in sharing what has filled me to the depths of grace, joy & atonement, the best landscapes created over the last 2,000+ years.

Just so you know... 

 I  welcome your input.

3 comments:

Lori Buff said...

Imagine the look if they only had some hand crafted pots in this collection.

La Contessa said...

Did you drive to DETROIT to get HER urns??Or are they sold locally by YOU?You and your touch......always a good thing!XX

Ann of Monona said...

I have stolen so many ideas from you. Keep it coming looking forward to everything you do.

Ann of Monona