Thursday, November 16, 2017

Blank Wall Garden Design

Blank Wall Garden Design. 
.
Your home/garden, do you have a bit of blank wall to play with?
.
A proscenium.
.
A spot to enjoy being in, perhaps, more, a spot to relish purely as a view.  Before either, a spot to enjoy mentally designing, dripping with anticipation.  Take a month, take a year, no worries, it's all yours to dream.
.
Taking it to the next level, a garden show entry, using these dimensions, below, set up a dozen.  Entrants can do what they wish with the blank wall, and fixed dimensions in front.  Seeing the same space, created anew with a dozen different brains, intriguing. 

Ryan Gainey, gardener extraordinaire, philosopher, mentor, poet
Pic, above, here.
.
Found the pic on Pinterest, but it gives zero provenance details.  I know, well, who it is, Ryan Gainey, excepting nothing more. 
.
Met Ryan in my 20's, we were both setting up display gardens at the Southeastern Flower Show.  Ryan was a star, I was beginning my career.  Working my setup, I was always on the lookout for him, to meet him.   Met some of his team, one in particular was incredibly kind.  Showing me their processes, how the design came together, answering all my newbie questions.  We had a lovely leisurely amount of time, engulfed in pure garden design.
.
Desk top computers were not on the horizon, a more virginal era of communication.  Books/magazines/classes/symposiums all had to be purchased for elucidation.  The man showing me Ryan's display garden, was, of course, Ryan.  How was I supposed to know what he looked like?
.
During that set-up, and still, I use large baskets to carry my daily loads.  Some days are a 1 basket day, some a 4 basket day, loading them up for the various jobsites and roles life requires before heading out.  Whence the garden show commenced, Ryan knew me no more.  For good reason.  He was gobsmacked with fans, and the rich ladies.  He was Saturn, but with more rings.  However, he gave me a fun moment, while promenading a garden show aisle with his wealthiest lady.  They were deep in conversation, about to walk past me, Ryan with a basket carrying his things.  Without his rich lady ever knowing he wasn't hanging on her every word, he gave me a sweet smirk and nod, lifting his basket the tiniest amount, as if saying cheers with a fresh cocktail.  He became a basket man.
.
Ryan, in those days, had a slight flourish with his clothes.  Time passed.  His clothes became costumes.  More time passed.  Ryan became the character he was dressing all along.  Those of us living in Atlanta, and knew him to be a true star, were taken along on his ride.  Joy Ride !  A blessing in my life.
.
Ryan hasn't been gone long, dying in a house fire with his dogs.
.
To Sir With Love.
.
Garden & Be Well,   XO T
.
Excellent photography of Ryan's garden, here

3 comments:

Penelope Bianchi said...

OH Tara!

I loved that post. What a great opportunity!

But I started to cry when I saw Ryan and his doggie. What a loss and a tragedy. I adored him. I met him only twice.

What a talent and what a STAR! You are so right.

Stanley Ruggerio said...

Tara, what a heartbreaking, lovely post. Thank you for this moment in time with the masterful Mr. Gainey.

Stanley Ruggerio said...

Tara, what a heartbreaking, but lovely tribute to the masterful Mr. Gainey.